Saturday, August 7, 2010

Things My Daughter "Learned" in Grade 1

I've vented throughout the year -- mostly to myself -- about my daughter's grade one experience. This is me trying to look at the things that she's learned from a positive point of view (really, I'm trying...).



Things my daughter learned in grade one:

1. My daughter learned that there are all kinds of teachers. Some hug you if you cry. Some yell at you if you are too talkative and don't care if your necklace breaks and the heart locket that matches your mom's is lost on the playground (presumably forever).

Desiree brought a rubber stamp to school for show and tell. I asked her after school if she gave the kids stamps on their hands or work. She replied "No -- my teacher isn't the type of teacher who says 'Oh, and can you show us how that works?'". Unfortunately she also isn't the type who lets creative kids read stories aloud to the class that they have written and illustrated themselves in their free time...

2. My daughter learned that it's okay to stand up for what you believe -- even to an adult/teacher. Not everyone believes the same as we do. You can be put in situations where you have to say something or else you end up watching "The Snow Queen" and visions of witches spying on you and children turning evil against their will may be irrevocably etched in your memory.

When I talked to the teacher about it she said "Desiree never said anything...". Yeah, but I did... in October... prior to Halloween. I made a point of meeting with the teacher and listed off the things we do not agree with: witches, ghosts, anything evil... I didn't think I needed to have the "we don't agree with evil" talk again prior to Christmas.

3. My daughter learned that you can show kindness and encouragement to people you are certain hate you. In fact you should. It may or may not change how that person treats you, but it will gradually change your outlook. "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Matthew 5:44

We prayed a lot for this teacher throughout the year. As well, I told Desiree she needed to think of ways to encourage her teacher. We bought her a vase and every week picked her fresh flowers from our garden.



At the end of the school year Desiree drew a picture for her Mon-Thurs teacher and for her Friday teacher. She showed great mercy by doing a lovely job for both of them.

And in Desiree's work of art, her Mon-Thurs teacher was happier than I'd ever seen her before.

~❀~ Chelsey ~❀~

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind comments on my blog :)

    Your daughter sounds like a very smart and friendly little girl! I'm sorry to hear that her teacher was less than awesome. :( Hopefully she has a much better experience in grade two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I saw you entered the Playhouse Disney Canada giveaway at My Organized Chaos and thought I would let you know that I am hosting one too at Gumdrops & Lollipops! http://kenziesgumdropsandlollipops.blogspot.com/2010/08/playhouse-disney-canada-blog-tour.html

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda stumbled onto your blog via willowsprite. My daughter, too, is a stay-at-home teacher mom. She too struggled with her daughter's kindergarten teacher. Same issues.
    I have to encourage her to pray for the teacher, and not come across to her as the mom who knows better than the teacher (although she does). Daughter did a lot of home-schooling to help her daughter along, and her with three younger little boys as well! But her grade one teacher was much better, so we are hoping for grade two!
    I really like your attitude and the way you and your daughter handled it, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lessons to learn early on. I'm proud of you and Desiree for your prayerful, encouraging attitude toward her 1st grade teacher. Praying she has a wonderful 2nd grade experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...this is such a nice post! :)
    Hello! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!:)

    Following you from Moms Rev 4 You!:)

    Would ♥ to hear from you...

    http://chicsassymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following back from MomsReview4You blog hop. Thanks!

    Feel free to come back tonight 12pm Eastern since the new Wednesday blog hop with be up!
    http://momsreview4you.blogspot.com/p/blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Chelsey,
    You are doing a wonderful job by teaching your daughter to pray for her teacher..how thoughtful to pick flowers for the teacher!

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  8. B2BMom, Ella, Des and Esther, Thanks for the sweet comments...

    JoAnn, I totally laughed out loud at that one!!!

    TBH, How nice that you stumbled on by! Thanks for the compliments.

    I'm hoping with you that your grandaughter gets a great teacher for grade two!

    Kim, Thanks for the prayers... I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is unfortunate that some teachers do not encourage and support children as they should. Thanks for joining FMIC! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...