Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Death-Defying Summer

I had a horrible headache, but I had told the kids that we would go bowling with their friends and I wanted to keep my word. I bowled with a headache because sometimes that's a mother's love.


That night I developed a fever and chills.  The next day I was delirious. On the third day I had a moment of clarity (which I thank God for).  I asked my husband to bring me the thermometer and I also took my heart rate.  Temperature: 104  Resting heart rate: 122 bpm.  I told him I thought I should go to the Emergency.

There were chest x-rays and ecgs, blood tests and ivs.  I found out I had pneumonia.  Mid-summer, no cold or flu to trigger it - pneumonia.  They wanted to admit me for a few days, but I refused since Ernie can't take care of the kids on his own (due to stroke symptoms).  Instead I returned to the hospital every night for the next week to have iv antibiotic therapy.

The night that I came home from the hospital the kids had both said in the dark of the night "I hope you don't die, Mom".  I reassured them by scoffing gently at their concern and saying "I'm not going to die".

I had a follow up visit with my family doctor a few days later and it was then that I was told I had "life threatening pneumonia".  I didn't realize that...  You'd think it would have been more obvious to me if my life was threatened.

I nearly died in my family room left for days to "recover" by my well-meaning husband and children...  Then I reassured my kids of the very thing that was up in the air.

The conversation I had with my children after my follow-up appointment was significantly different.  I reminded them that we all will die and not one of us knows when that day will be.  I told them that the important thing was that I have asked Jesus to be my Saviour and to forgive me of my sins and so I will go to Heaven when I die.


Jesus said "I am the resurrection and the life.  He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.  And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die."  John 11:25 & 26

Now that's reassuring...

~❀~ Chelsey ~❀~

6 comments:

  1. OH CHELSEY!!! I'm so sorry,and thankful for your recovery. God Bless you lady.xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes!!!
    I'm glad you had the presence of mind to get yourself to the hospital! I have a similar story, but it was my husband who insisted I go to the ER - I just wanted to sleep (and I would have... like forever...)
    I'm glad things worked out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you recovered ! EVOL YOU YESLECH

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a scary time!! I hope you are feeling back to 'normal' - good to see you back in the blogosphere! Thank you for the beautiful reminder of God's unfailing love and care for us that you have written here. You couldn't have chosen a better verse to share with us than John 11... God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, Chelsey!!! :( I'm so sorry I didn't know you were sick at all. Praising God you're okay.

    My Dad has had walking pneumonia and it's very scary. Once you have had it, you have a greater chance of getting it again. Be careful! Do you have anyone who can help you or take care of your kids for you so you can recover in the hospital if something like this happens again?

    Love,
    Kim U.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the sweet comments...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...